Monday 2 March 2009

It's a happy monday to yoooouuuuu

I'm in a kind of fantasy shlump at the moment. Everything I've been reading is contemporary and while I love that, I need some magic to balance it out! I don't know what to read next though, any suggestions? I have City of Ashes, which I can't wait to read. Or I could try A College of Magics by Caroline Stevermer, Black Powder War by Naomi Novik or Seven Sorcerers by Caro King. Does anyone know if any of them are good? Or have any different books to recommend?

On a random note, there have been lots of helicopters flying over here all day. It makes me wonder what's going on, especially as the building I'm in shakes every time!

Also, to celebrate the release of Something, Maybe, Elizabeth Scott is having a countdown celebration. I'm definitely going to be celebrating because I'm looking forward to reading it!

10 comments:

  1. City of Ashes will definitely be a good read. It's kind of slow, though, so it might not be what you need right now. Maybe The Goose Girl, or any Robin McKinley, or the Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor? Ahhh, I'm not being very helpful, sorry. Just throwing some suggestions out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, that is helpful, thanks. I've read the Goose Girl, but not many by Robin McKinley. Maybe I should try some more by her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could always read Terrier (it is good). :-)

    I found A College of Magics to be a little slow.

    Have you read His Majesty's Dragon and The Throne of Jade? 'Cause those come before Black Powder War.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And if you really feel like venturing outside the box, you could always try my online fantasy Mortal Ghost.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Girl Who Could Fly is a pretty good fantasy book, but I'm not sure if it's YA or children.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you enter my Rampant contest (it's worldwide)? It is awesome fantasy with killer unicorns!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't yet, but I'm running over to do it now!! Fantasy with killer unicorns? Count me in :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. City of Ashes, 'cause it's brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read City of Ashes and loved it, but I felt like you could replace the whole first half of the book with a few important sentences---If u can get thru the opening, it's worth it! :)
    seem to feel that way about a few books lately. Like 'The Reader'(read it cuz I loved Kate Winslet's Oscar speech!). Felt it with Stephen King's 'Insomnia' too.....maybe it's just me.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ink Mage - I haven't read any by Naomi Novik before. Maybe I should wait until I've read the first ones.

    Lee - Maybe I could if I hadn't been staring at a screen writing an essay all day :) I will look into it though

    Priya - A girl who can fly sounds almost as good as killer unicorns!

    Everyone else, thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming! City of Ashes seems to have the most support, so I'll try that one first :)

    ReplyDelete