Wednesday 4 March 2009

Book review - Broken Soup by Jenny Valentine

When a boy stops Rowan and hands her a photo negative that he insists is hers, she knows he’s wrong, but accepts it anyway out of embarrassment. When she develops the photo she gets a shock – for all that she didn’t drop it, it’s definitely hers. She begins new friendships with Harper, the boy who handed her the negative, and Bee, a girl from school. But they are linked with her past, the past that she is trying to recover from.

Rowan’s family are recovering from the unexpected death of her older brother and it is Rowan who bears the biggest burden. Like a worrying number of teenagers today, it is she who must hold the family together, caring for her younger sister. Rowan’s character is a result of this responsibility – she is mature beyond her age yet extremely cautious with new people. But when she meets Harper she is drawn to him. The characters in this book were incredibly realistically portrayed. I especially loved the younger sister Stroma, who is just so understanding and yet innocent.


Broken Soup is full of friendship, romance, the importance of families and general life. The plot develops beautifully with an interesting twist at the end, but I had a minor quibble. I don’t see the necessity for Jack to have kept his secret when he was alive, except that it is an interesting shock for Rowan. It was so cleverly written though, that this doesn’t matter so much. Parts of the book are so realistic that it could easily be depressing without the unlikely subplots. If I was in Rowan’s position, all I know is that I would love to meet a Harper, I would love to have that negative handed to me.

I wanted to read Broken Soup after Jenny’s review of it and it certainly didn’t disappoint. Great characters, an interesting plot, and clever writing combine to produce a book worthy of high recommendation.

And good news for all Americans – Broken Soup will be released in the US this month. Put it on your wishlists!

12 comments:

  1. This is one of the few books they actually do carry in the pitiful YA section of the English bookshop here in Frankfurt. I need to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review, H. I'm really glad you enjoyed it. Do you plan to read more by JV? I'm so happy that my review inspired you to read it... maybe I don't just write rubbish after all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great and interesting review! I loved this book.

    (And wow, is that the US cover? It's so different!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lenore, you really should!

    And Jenny, kind of scary to discover people actually pay attention to what you write? =) For the record, I love your reviews.

    I like both covers, I think the US one seems more YA and the UK one seems to be for a slightly younger audience if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a good point about the US cover, it does look more YA. I think the UK graffiti/messy style suits her books more though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should be getting this through a book-swapping site soon. I can't wait!

    I think the US cover appeals more to the American YA audience, who is used to these cute-off faceless models on covers. Very American YA. Whereas I feel that UK covers, while sometimes looking as if they're targetting a younger age range, can be more unique and even better in that respect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, the graffiti style is cool. I wanted to put up a photo of the back cover as well where there is more of the same. I love the little clues to the plot in the doodles!
    Hope you like it Steph Su, tell us what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so crazy how different the Brit and US covers are with books! --I first noticed that with 'Harry Potter'--

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know, I love different book covers Pen Pen. If you go to Jenny's blog at cityofbooks.blogspot.com, she has a weekly UK v US cover feature

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just finished this one and looooved it! Can't recommend it highly enough. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is a good book i loved it
    i can just imagine rowan

    ReplyDelete
  12. This boook is soo awesome, you really conmnect with the characters :)

    ReplyDelete