Tuesday 31 March 2009

Book review - Seven Sorcerers by Caro King

Age - 9+
Release - 2nd April 09 in the UK
Nin hates Wednesdays, so when disaster comes calling, it’s kind of inevitable that it would happen on a Wednesday. Disaster’s name is Skerridge. Between going to bed on Tuesday night and waking on Wednesday morning, Nin’s little brother has ceased to exist. No-one remembers him. Except her. Why is she the only one who remembers Toby? Because whatever took him is going to come back for her. She runs away to rescue Toby from the magical land ‘The Drift.’ But Skerridge the Bogeyman is the best-of-the-best. He’s never let a child escape from his clutches before, and Nin’s not about to be the first.

(Yep, technially this is a kids book, not a teen book. But it's a GOOD kids book!)
The plot sounds formulaic, if funny, so that’s what I expected from this. I’m happy to say, I was really impressed with Seven Sorcerers. The writing is witty, refreshingly honest, and clever. The plot is complex – writing a summary was near impossible because there’s so much to this story that I had a hard time condensing it down. For example, the book’s title has a good reason for being what it is.
The characters are all interesting, but my hands down favourite was Skerridge the BM (bogeyman). His observations are genuinely funny and his attitude towards life is great.

Caro King has created a wonderful surprise in Seven Sorcerers. Not only has she created an interesting plot and great characters, but she also developed a history for the land itself. The ‘Drift’ is dying along with all of its creatures. The best way for the magical people to stay alive is through memory, and what do people remember more than fear? This gives an interesting angle on the bogeymen, whose actions are driven by necessity. This is a great book aimed at kids, but clever enough that older readers may enjoy some of the humour. Buy it for a child you know, then 'borrow' it for yourself!

This book is a wonderful mixture, it’s fast-paced, inventive, amusing and a little mysterious. It also happens to be the first in a series, which I’m happy about. I only know this from the spine, which tells me it is book one, not from the plot, which is tied up perfectly, no loose-ends or cliffhangers. Seven Sorcerers is just relying on its appeal as a story for readers to pick up the next book. And you know what? I think most will.

11 comments:

  1. That's great! I wish more series books would go that route :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A note of thanks to you (for your sweet comment). Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, and I love the sound of this book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lenore - I know! I love books that actually tie things up properly!

    Right back at you Beth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this book while i was on holiday and thoroughly enjoyed it , i can't wait to get the next book !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read it three times over, it was brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sequal is out in April 2010. Its called Shadow Spell! cant cait!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just finished reading it and looked for the next one. As a teacher it's great to find a book that I feel will grab even reluctant readers.
    Thanks for a great book.
    Marty

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will have to read this one again just before April and the release of the sequal. What a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great book! I just finished reading it and can't wait to get my hands on the next one! Thanks for the great review. :D

    ReplyDelete